The Jensen Litigation Firm, PLLC represents contractors and individuals in construction defect and warranty disputes. People hire us to determine their rights regarding the construction, and to fight for those rights. If you need an attorney to handle a construction defect or warranty claim, we can help. Contact us now, as there are is a short statute of limitation and statute of repose for these claims.
What home warranties does a homeowner get in Minnesota?
Chapter 327A of Minnesota Statutes provides various warranties. For a new home, there is:
- (1) a one-year warranty relating to defects caused by faulty workmanship and defective materials due to noncompliance with building standards;
- (2) a two-year warranty relating to defects caused by faulty installation of plumbing, electrical, heating, and cooling systems due to noncompliance with building standards; and
- (3) a 10-year warranty relating to major construction defects due to noncompliance with building standards.
There are similar warranties for home improvements.
What are home warranty claims like in Minnesota?
Chapter 327A provides a process for making a warranty claim. There are several exclusions that limit a contractor's liability.
The owner must generally provide notice to the contractor within 6 months of when a defect was discovered or should have been discovered. The contractor should generally take a look at the owner's issues and consider whether to make an offer of repair.
There is also a statute of limitation and statute of repose in Minn. Stat. § 541.051 that govern construction defects. These statutes govern warranty claims and other construction-related claims for negligence and breach of contract. Many claimants have been shut out by these deadlines, so it is important to promptly discover and act on any defects.
Why is it important to hire an attorney for defect or warranty issues?
These construction claims are often complex, technical in nature, and involve statutory interpretation. It is best to have an attorney review your rights and a proper strategy.
We have the knowledge and experience to handle defect and warranty claims. Do not hesitate to contact us if:
- You are a homeowner with a construction defect.
- You are a contractor and have either received notice of a defect or been sued for a defect.